This course will use an MSU Commons website instead of D2L. On our Commons website, you will have access to [TAILOR TO YOUR COURSE: your syllabus, course calendar with due dates, assignment sheets, rubrics, assigned readings, etc.].
In order to participate in this course and gain access to our website and all of our shared content, you will need to create an MSU Commons account.
To create your account, follow these steps:
- Before registering, log out of all MSU web systems. This includes Spartan Mail, D2L, and EBS.
- Go to https://commons.msu.edu/
- Click “Register” in the upper right corner, followed by “Register Now” on the next screen.
- You’ll be sent to MSU’s login system, where you must log in using your MSU credentials.
- You’ll review your enrollment information and then accept or change your suggested username.
- Finally, you’ll wait for several seconds as the system builds your account.
That’s it! Once you’ve done all that, you’ll be ready to log in and get started. Be sure to choose the Spartan helmet whenever you log into your account.
To access our course website from your web browser, go to [InsertwebsiteName].msu.hcommons.org. Our website is private, meaning that only your classmates and instructor will have access to all of the content found there.
OPTIONAL: If you plan to create a group on MSU Commons to use in conjunction with your course website, use this additional template to describe the group usage for your students:
In addition to our MSU Commons website, we will also use a group on MSU Commons. Our group will be the place where we have class discussions and collaborate on group assignments and projects.
To find and join our course group on MSU Commons, follow these steps:
- Make sure you are logged in to MSU Commons.
- Click on Groups in the left menu.
- Type [insert name of group] into the Search Groups bar.
[Choose the appropriate next step from the options below, depending on the type of group you are using for your course. We recommend using a Private group for courses so that students’ discussions and collaborations can only be accessed by other members of the course.]
- Our group is Public, so click on the Join Group button to the right of its name in the list. This button will also appear at the top of the group’s home page when you click on it.
- Our group is Private, so click the Request Membership button to the right of its name in the list. This button will also appear at the top of the group’s homepage.
- Your request to join the group will be received by your instructor, who can then approve you to be added to the group. If you have requested to join but have not heard back in 48 hours, follow up with your instructor via email.